Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I miss my friend.....

In the Johannesburg airport
At the orphanage in Dakar, Senegal

One of my favorites.....I want to take her home!!!!


Lots of babies!!!


I have to admit that I have been in a funk about going to work. I usually fly with a friend of mine and she has been off work for a while. We haven't flown together since July 26th (not that I am counting). Anyway, one of our favorite trips to fly together is a 6 day trip that stops in Dakar, Senegal and Johannesburg, South Africa. When we fly together, it is like a vacation. We get to hang out, talk, have a glass of wine (or three), laugh..... When we layover in Dakar, we visit an orphanage where there are about 50 babies being cared for by Catholic nuns. We play with them, and then help feed them before they take their nap. It is a good way to get a "baby fix".....especially for moms with children aged 9 and older. It is hard to leave but we know that they are well cared for by the nuns and the teenage girls that live there who are educated by the nuns. I will be going on that trip later this month. I hope my friend will be going with me.....I miss her. She is one of a kind.....wise, funny, smart, beautiful and fun! Cheers!

3 comments:

Bridget said...

I bet that does make for a fun time...flying with a friend...especially on an international trip! Sweet post and pictures!

skyangel said...

I hope so bad that I can go with you !!!!!! I can't believe I said that. Remind me of this moment when I am complaining about work. I love you and miss you!!!

Ryan and Lizz Durbin said...

Might seem weird, but I randomly found your blog doing a google search. I live in Dakar and am looking for an orphanage to visit and see how they run it. My husband and I are here in Dakar for 2 years looking to start a development project. Any way you remember the location here in Dakar so that I could find it???? Thanks for your help! [been here now for 5 weeks from Ohio]